Word of The Day for Sunday, October 17, 2010

somnial

som•ni•al (som-nee-uhl) /säm-nē-əl/   adj

Definition
of or pertaining to sleep or dreams

Related
Related Words: insomnia, unable to sleep
somnambulant, sleep walking
somnifacient, somniferous, inducing sleep
somnifugous, fighting off sleep
somniloquence, sleep talking
somnipathy, a sleep disorder
somnolent, sleepy

Examples
• The somnial magic superinduced on, without suspending, the active powers of the mind. Coleridge
• On the other part, to presage or foretell an evil, especially in what concerneth the exploits of the soul in matter of somnial divinations, as much as to say that it giveth us to understand that some dismal misfortune or mischance is destined and prepared for us, which shortly will not pass to come to pass. Francis Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel

The Storyline
And as much as Kurt was by now used to being jolted awake by Tyler's somnial thrashing...

Origin

First used sometime before 1914, L. somnialis dream bringing, fr. somnium dream, fr. somnus sleep

Sources: The Free Dictionary

Why This Word:

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. Forgive me if it goes astray.
Actually, with this word I bend a self imposed rule. The Storyline page is meant to be an exercise, suggested to me by someone else, to use each daily word in an ongoing narrative. And I had determined to not choose words just to fit the story, but rather to pick words on what piqued my interest and then find some way to work the word in the next sentence. In the process of writing the sentence for tomorrow's word, I needed a word which meant pertaining to sleep or dreams. As common an activity as sleeping and dreaming is, I was surprised to find that somnial was so rarely used and so lacking in synonyms. Naturally, I felt that needed to be rectified, as I'm sure you will too. Sleep on it.

Word-E: A Word-A-Day

No comments:

Post a Comment