Word of The Day for Friday, February 18, 2011

wroth

wroth (rawth)  adj

Definition:
1. angry; wrathful
2. stormy; violent; turbulent

Origin:
before 12th century; O.E. wrað "angry" (lit. "tormented, twisted”), from P.Gmc. *wraithaz, from PIE *wreit- "to turn"

Related:
Synonyms: angered, apoplectic, ballistic, enraged, furious, incensed, inflamed, infuriated, livid, mad, outraged, rabid, wrathful
Related Words: wrath, writhe, wreathe

Sentence Examples:
• Then was Pharaoh, the king, exceeding wroth, and he gave commandment that an owl be given to Neoncapos, the king's jester, and that he be set forth without the gate of the king's palace, and that he be forbidden to return, or to speak to any in all the land, save only unto the owl which had been given him, until such time as the bird should answer and tell him what he should say.  -Bricks Without Straw, Albion W. Tourgee

• And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? -The Dore Gallery of Bible Illustrations, Gustave Dore

• Thereupon I forced my way through the underwood which hindered me from seeing, and when I presently saw Ann coming and had opened my lips to call, something, meseemed, took me by the throat, and I was fain to stand still as though I had taken root there, and could only lend eye and ear, gasping for breath, to what was doing yonder by the highroad.  And verily I knew not whether to rejoice from the bottom of my heart, or to lament and be wroth, and fly forth to put an end to it all. -Margery, Georg Ebers

Sources: Dictionary.com, Online Etymology

Word-E: A Word-A-Day

No comments:

Post a Comment