Word of The Day for Friday, March 18, 2011

hypnagogic

hyp•na•gog•ic (hip-nuh-GOJ-ik)  adj

Definition:
of, relating to, or occurring in the period of drowsiness immediately preceding or following sleep
Origin:
1886; from Fr. hypnagogique, from Gk. hypnos “sleep”, from PIE *swep-no, from base *swep- "sleep" + agogos “leading”

Related:
Synonyms: hypnotic, somniferous, somnolent, soporiferous, soporific, somnial
Related Words: pedagogue, demagogue, hypnosis

Sentence Examples:
• Wilson's dream world is informed by the perspective of the hypnagogic state: the sleep of reason may produce monsters, as Goya thought, but it can also call forth visions. -Time 1984

• We will first consider a condition of muscular activity which is peculiar to the hypnagogic state. It is well known that even on being suddenly awakened from a deep sleep, full consciousness is not immediately regained. Complete consciousness is reached only after passing through this intermediary hypnagogic state. -Abnormal psychology, Isador Henry Coriat

• "Often," she says, "when I am awake I pass into a state resembling sleep, in which I lose control of my imagination, but keep my powers of perception and reasoning. I dream before I go to sleep, and the way I have proved this is by opening my eyes, looking around the room, turning over in bed, closing my eyes again, and taking up the dream where I left off. Very often I am able to finish a dream in this way when I have been waked in the middle of it." Waking dreams of this sort, like hypnagogic images, indicate the unity which underlies all the distinctions of waking and dreaming life. -The American journal of psychology, 1896

Sources:Merriam-Webster, Online Etymology

Word-E: A Word-A-Day

No comments:

Post a Comment